9.11.2008

a little competitive??


I am realizing that Katie, at such a young age, is becoming quite competitive. We love to play UNO in our house. Everyone wants to be the UNO CHAMPION. Katie will play as someones partner in the games. Her goal is to try and pick the person that is most likely to be the UNO CHAMPION. (she usually will pick Mom...lol). Her strategy in the game is to try and get her team mate to not pick up any more cards. She does not like to lose. When her team wins she jumps up on her chair and does her 4 year old little victory dance. And if she loses...not very happy. It should be interesting when she can play her own hand.
So last night we left Danny's birthday party. Steve and I were in seperate vehicles. Steve had Abby and Kloee and I had Katie and Max. I decided to go a different route home than Steve to see if it we could beat him home. Katie was so excited to be having a race. She was cheering me on as we were driving and as we were getting closer to home, I realized that Steve had probably made it home before us. Max was in the back of the car saying that we were "the losers". Katie was so angry and was getting very upset about Max announcing that we were "the losers". So Katie looks back at him and says "You think that's funny?? Well, it's not!!!!" I had to hold back the laughter, as this would have really got her going.
Seconds later we rounded the corner to our street and sure enough there was Steve's car in the driveway with Abby jumping up and down doing her 11 year old victory dance. (let me tell you, that didn't help matters out any) Katie was so angry and began to cry and had to take a few minutes to herself in the van before she could come in the house.
It makes me wonder...is this competitive spirit a good thing or not so good??

2 comments:

Virginia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Virginia said...

That is too funny. I think it okay to be competitive, the key is teaching the right behavior when one looses. I think it is good to have some loosing times because life isn't going to always put you at the top. I think it is all a little more intense when it is the youngest child, we go through some of those moments with our own baby. :) You need to post of picture of your NEW wheels! I saw you cruzin' down the road, but you were movin' so fast I didn't get a good look. :)