8.31.2008

issues?!

I have to say that I love music...all kinds...but I mostly listen to top 40 music on the radio. About 2 or 3 months ago, I was driving and listening and a song came on that I hadn't heard before. The beat of the music was catchey and I was excited to hear a "new" song. Then came the words...my jaw dropped and I immediately changed the station. I didn't need to listen to the whole song to know that I didn't like it. It was Katy Perry's debut song "I kissed a girl".
It made me feel sick to my stomach that there would be a song cirulating on the radio with those lyrics. It made me feel dissappointed and discouraged in some way.
So as the weeks went by, I heard this come on the radio again and again as its popularity continued to rise. I continued to turn the station or turn the radio off altogether. On occasion, I voiced my opinion about this song. Using the words "hate", "disgust", "repulsive", "UNBELIEVABLE".
Another thing that I love is the TODAY show on NBC. I watch and listen to it while I am getting ready in the morning. Well, I heard that on their Friday Concert Series, they were having the singer Katy Perry coming to perform. My first thought was "they WOULDN'T have her sing THAT song". Friday came and guess what??? They did!!! I was so dissappointed that I sat down and sent an email to the TODAY show. Now, I usually don't do these types of things and realize that we all have a choice and can choose to watch or listen, to stay or walk away. But I felt that I needed to let them know how I felt.
Now before I sent the email I thought, well maybe the song is not what I THOUGHT is was. I hadn't EVER listened to the whole song only hearing a few lines ever. So I felt like I needed to read the lyrics to make sure that I wasn't over reacting a bit about the song. Well, for those of you who haven't heard the lyrics....THEY WERE WORSE THAN I THOUGHT!!!! This pushed my desire to write the email even more. This is what I wrote:

I felt as though I needed to sit down and write this email, as a mother of 3 daughters and also as an avid watcher of the TODAY show.
As I was getting ready for the day and watching the TODAY show on Thursday morning, they announced the headliners for the Concert Series for Friday, August 29th. When Katy Perry was announced, I thought to my self , please do not have her sing the song "I kissed a girl". Any other song but that one. I gave the TODAY show the benefit of the doubt and thought, they won't have her sing "that" song on their show...they just wouldn't.
Well, I tuned in this morning, while getting ready for the day. The Concert Series was beginning and Katy Perry was up. They scanned the audience and there were hundreds, maybe even thousands of young, impressionable girls (some as young as 4 or 5). This made my stomach turn as they announced that she would be singing her top hit, I kissed a girl.
I immediately pressed mute on my television set, not wanting to hear the words being sung , and also that my 4 year old daughter was playing in the same room. I watched as the young girls in the audience danced and sung along to the words as the song was being sung by Katy Perry. The image of this saddened me and could not believe that this was being presented on one of my favorite morning news programs. I have watched controversial things presented on the TODAY show before and expect that from the news and interviews that you have on your program. My issue with the Concert Series that brings hundreds of children and youth to your plaza to listen to top music artists and then presents a song that I feel is controversial.
This song promotes experimentation. Everything about it is wrong. Who WANTS their child to experiment with this type of thing?? What is happening with the morals in our society that songs like this are okay. They sensor the word "hell" in a song, because they don't want to OFFEND anyone. So what about this song?? My goodness, Matt Lauer has daughters...does he let them listen to this song??
I just expected more from the TODAY show.

Now I usually don't do things like this but felt a type of responsibility to voice my opinion. I am not naive in my thinking that this type of thing isn't happening, but am surprised at what is being allowed or accepted in our society as OK.
This is my issue......

11 comments:

Rae said...

I applaud you, Kathy. If I had seen this on the TODAY show I would have written, too. I like to write to companies and tell them the good and the bad that they are doing. I feel it is our responsibility, as parents, to allow our kids to have questions about life and figure the answers out. However, I do not think they need to be introduced to this question by some girl making a political statement. The sad thing is that most of the girls in the audience are probably naive and are just singing to the "fun" music - not paying attention to the meaning. Then, when they are a little older and start thinking about the words, they might think it's okay to try it because it can't be bad - someone sung about it. Kudos to you, Kathy. You'll have to let us know if you get an email back.

Anonymous said...

WOW! its nice to see people so passionate about different issues, i can applaud you for that. my moms the same way, when she sees things that affect her, she writes letters too, she feels compelled to, whether they make a diff or not remains to be seen, but she writes them. this issue however doesnt bother me as much as it might some people, i think, to each their own really...we all make our own choices, right or wrong, and hopefully a song or any other media source wont affect our choices. her song IS better than writing about shooting the police and murdering "ho's" and being the big "pimp" on the block i guess. (i hope i havent offended anyone reading this) sorry in advance if i have.

sean

kathy j. said...

sean,
Thanks for your comment.
The difference with the type of songs that you have referenced is that those songs have some type of censorship ...they are not being continually played on radio stations or being performed on television programs. Like you said..it does come down to choices.

SAT said...

I'm with you 100% ... I turn that song off the second I hear the tune come on the radio. The sad part is that my girl's have heard it and like it ... is it the catchy tune??? Probably, but I don't want getting any ideas!

Anonymous said...

youre quite right about that kathy, they arent being played that way and therefore are much more censored. but i DO agree with you, i think the media has a HUGE responsibilty to the public AND society and should certainly be more selective in their choices on what to air and what to champion in general. but at the same time, whether it be a right or wrong choice to most people out there, its also on the front burner of current events with the whole same sex unities and marriages. and whether we agree or disagree with it, there are a lot of hate crimes being commited on these people, which is also a shame. no one should be afraid because of who they choose to love or marry. and by playing these kinds of songs, maybe theyre trying to make society less prejudiced in some way(hopefully), and just more accepting of everyones differences and choices.

Unknown said...

Good for you Kathy! I haven't heard this song but I when I do I won't listen to it!
Truly what is the world coming to? We as as human beings are being so desensitized. I hate it!

Jensen Family said...

I agree completely with you on this disgusting song. I too thought the same when I had first heard it, and also do the same when it comes on the radio. Thank you for writing the Today show. I deliberatly did not watch that morning because I knew that is what they were going to have her sing.

Melinda said...

Good for you! I wrote to a magazine once about an ad I thought was too racy. They wrote me back and essentially said that if it sells stuff, they'll publish it. Sad.

I don't think I've ever heard this song. I haven't listened to the radio much recently. But there are several songs that I change the station when they come on because I can't stand the message the lyrics send.

Mandy said...

Good for you for standing up to your beliefs and morals. Not a lot of people would have the courage to do that and that was a very good thing that you stood up for what you believe. I always think of the YW motto when I think of doing things like that...Stand for truth and Righteousness. You are a great example. That song, as well as others are horrible and disgusting.

Hema and Becky said...

Good for you Kathy! The sad part is that most girls probably sing along and don't even realize what they are being taught through a song! There sure is a lot of junk out there! I was dying when I was reading Breaking Dawn thinking of all the tweens and young teens reading a book that crossed the line for the group it was written for in my opinion. Parents have to be extra aware now a day!

jcwilles said...

It is a scary world that our children must grow up in these days. Thanks for standing up for what you believe in. I'm glad we are still in the stage where we only watch Noggin and Sprout and listen to nursery rhymes in the car.